Dr. Tanner is the technical and visionary lead of HealthImpact.studio and a physician Board Certified in Obesity Medicine and Psychiatry. He oversees the creation of compelling simulations and role play frameworks developed in Unity/C# and delivered in VR where users experiment with change and develop real-world skills that impact health. Current projects include Food Fight an Oculus-based VR game in which players challenge “virtual” food and drink substances in a simulation to potentially counter-condition and extinguish craving responses and aid food selection choices.
Dr. Tanner leverages his unique business, technological, and clinical background to create VR game-based solutions that enhance understanding of human biology, promote healthy behaviors, identify symptoms, and intervene in the treatment of illness. His understanding of neuroscience and psychology directs science and theory-based solutions that influence decision making, lifestyle change, and self-assessment. Areas of emphasis include reward systems as they impact opioid addiction, CNS and biome systems that affect nutritional food selection/obesity, risk-taking and alcohol use, and pain control.
He is the author of Reaching Tomorrow’s Customers: Trends in Digital Marketing and blogs about entrepreneurial strategy at Rapid Startup Design.
- 10/12, 2018 @ 4:00 PM. Scenarios To Define The Relationship Between Alcohol Use And Burnout For Medical Students. International Conference on Physician Health Fairmont York Hotel Toronto, Ontario Canada.
- 7/18/2018, SUNY Buffalo: The Health Impact Power of VR Engagement and Immersion. Serious Play @ 1:30PM. University of Buffalo/New York. Bio
- 07/12/2018, George Mason, DC: Building an Entertainment-Quality VR Experience and Sneaking in Positive Impact, @ 01:40 PM Serious Play George Mason University, Manassas. Bio
- 07/11/2018, George Mason, DC: Engaging Tomorrow’s Learners with Impact Focused Virtual Reality Games: A Demo, @ 11:40 AM Serious Play George Mason University, Manassas. Bio.
- 4/19/2018, Raleigh: VR is Good for Your Health: The Health Promotion, Prevention, and Treatment Potential of VR East Coast Games Conference (ECGC), 4/19/2018 @ 11:30 AM. Raleigh Convention Center Raleigh, NC.
- 01/16/2018, Winter Brain Whistler Blackcomb, MLK is Mon the 15th
- Tanner B, Metcalf M, Tanner B. Training Future Clinicians through Clinical Encounters in Neuroscience. Poster presented at the 2018 Winter Conference on Brain Research Meeting January 16, 2018, Whistler, BC, Canada.
- Metcalf M, Tanner B, Tanner B. Teaching Neuroscience Concepts Related to Hunger via a Tower Defense Game. Poster presented at the 2018 Winter Conference on Brain Research Meeting January 16, 2018, Whistler, BC, Canada.